Monday, December 10, 2012

Kiefle weekend 2012

This weekend, in addition to Avery's birthday celebration, was also the weekend mom and Uncle Richard made kifle. I sort of elbowed my way into the tradition, hoping I can pass it along someday. As usual, the weekend began with Richard's arrival and the commencement of cocktail hour. Paul made his famous dirty martinis (which I've established that I prefer filthy) and we made the kifle dough. This year my family was here too, and we all went to Sleders and had burgers and fries. Avery was brave enough to "smooch the moose" so Papa bought her a t-shirt. We all retired, and woke up to hot bowls of "groul" and toasted dilly bread. We made the filling for the kifle by grinding the nuts and whipping the egg whites, adding the sugar and mixing together. Jamie kept the kids occupied while Richard, Mom and I rolled and filled, rolled and filled... and repeated for hours until we had over 400 little kifles. Paul hovered looking for blowouts that he could take off our hands, but we were so good at rolling he got nada. Occasionally the kids wandered in and got involved. Then, we packed up and made the drive back to Midland, kifle in tow. I had to keep Jamie to a 3 roll maximum or he'd have eaten our share within a week. I'm so glad I'm part of the tradition. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment