Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

We all made it up to Granny and Papaw's yesterday afternoon. Granny and Avery made their famous pumpkin pie with pumpkins that I'd spatchcocked (the word of the day) and pureed. I have to get together all the Thanksgiving pumpkin pie pictures I have of those two- they always turn out so great. Linda, Richard and Mike arrived as mom and I were drinking pomegranate martinis and listening to the Black Eyed Peas (I was dismayed to learn of the lack of Christmas music on mom's iPod- but we had fun dancing around nonetheless). Grandma T was with them, and the first thing she said to me (before hello) was how glad she was not to have had to make the 12 hour each way drive to Missouri to see us this year. Mark and Tammy arrived a couple hours later, everyone loaded with gifts for one another and the kids. Aunt Linda had pictures of Granny's last Thanksgiving, which brought tears to all our eyes. Thanksgiving growing up was all about being at Granny and Grandpa's house and seeing the photos made us all miss them terribly. I was the official potato peeler for this year's feast. An honorable job, as aunt Linda informed me that it was a very long time before Granny let any of them do much of the work when it came to the dinner. Of course, Grandma T chided me for peeling a bit too much of the potato along with the peel, but I'm only going to be so careful when I have to peel five pounds of potatoes. Mom, Linda and I worked to warm things through and finish dinner and had it on the table by 5 or 6. What a delicious feast! I ate way too much and actually felt a little lightheaded afterwards, but of course that didn't stop me from eating a piece of pecan pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment