Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve 2010

What a great Christmas Eve we had today! 

It was our elves' last morning at our house (Santa takes them back to the North Pole with him when he comes, you know) and they brought a puzzle for each of the kids. So we built a fire and made hot chocolate and put together the new puzzles while we let Papi sleep in. Asher helped me make the sugar cookie dough for Santa's cookies. We ate a big breakfast and went out in the snow and played. The kids were sledding behind the four-wheeler (still in the toboggan sled, which we need to address ASAP) and throwing snowballs.

Jamie went into town for things on our grocery list. We're having lots of people over for Christmas and needed all kinds of little things for dinner. The kids napped (yay!) while I made my no-fail fudge, which finally, for the first time every, didn't fail. I got to sneak downstairs and wrap gifts with a glass of wine while watching Planet Earth. Man, I have a lot of wrapping paper!

I tried my hand at chicken kiev, since it's Jamie's favorite. What a pain in the butt! It took me forever to pound out the chicken, roll the frozen butter ball inside of it and skewer it together with toothpicks so I could bread it. Of course, after giving Jamie such a hard time for using about a dozen toothpicks per piece the last time he made it, I couldn't use a lot so I was handicapped. ;) I did manage to use three or four per, floured, egged and breaded them and put them back into the fridge for a few hours. I have to admit, they were absolutely delicious! I have a feeling these are going to be rotated into our menu a little more frequently. 

After dinner we rolled out and cut the cookies and I baked them. We made lots of different colored frosting and Jamie had bought about seventeen bottles of sprinkles- so they had fun decorating them. The kids then opened up a gift from the Harrants. Each got a nice Christmas book and a two-sided puzzle that matched. We put those puzzles together and then read each book before putting the kids to bed. 

Asher, of course, didn't want to go to bed very badly so ended staying up much later that we'd have liked. We were so tired from our long Christmas Eve day!

No comments:

Post a Comment