Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011 part deux

Thanksgiving 2011 was certainly a blessed one.  Mom and Paul and Grandma came over mid-morning while Linda, Richard and Mike showed up a little later followed by Mark and Tammy. We all ate (a lot) of snacks around lunchtime while the wine and kahlua flowed.  Avery's lemonade and tea stand by the front door was a success (she raked in $11.37).  My friend from work, Becky, arrived about an hour before dinner and put up with all of us until we ate.

Of course, we had our favorite dishes there, most of which were brought by our guests. I only had to take care of the turkey, potatoes, biscuits and gravy all of which turned out really well. Pumpkin and apple pies topped us off.

I hope our kids have good memories of our Thanksgivings, just like I do of mine.  While I loved having everyone here, it was a little sad when everyone left within an hour after dinner. Last year we all hung out in the evening, then met in the morning for shopping and leftovers. I missed that, and after talking to mom about it, think we'll alternate Thanksgivings so we won't each have it at our house every year.

So, with Thanksgiving being a day on which it's good to look about you and appreciate the things in your life you tend to take for granted, I realize I have several. I'm so thankful my children are who they are. They fight a lot and don't listen to their parents often, but I love them dearly. I know they'll grow up to be wonderful adults, despite all the times outs they have had as children (maybe because of them). I love my husband dearly, for who he is too. We started off our marriage not knowing one another very well, but we've grown closer, our love and respect for each other deepening with each season. I'm grateful for my family, and the fact that we live in Michigan so we can see them so much more often. Mostly I'm thankful for God, because I realize that without him and his blessings, I'd have none of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment